Today WhoSampled celebrates its 6th Birthday! Another year on and now (unbelievably) 6 years since WhoSampled launched, we’re proud to continue to call ourselves the world’s leading resource for sample based music, cover songs and remixes.
We’ve had another great year with many achievements and plenty more in the pipeline:
- Just last week we launched our brand new FREE Android App, making our award winning iPhone App available to Android users for the first time. The response has been fantastic and we’re extremely happy to have made our unique brand of personalised music discovery available to the Android audience.
- The database continues grow at an incredible pace. This time last year we were celebrating passing the 200,000 track mark. One year on the database stands at over 270,000, showing not only that we’re growing fast but that the rate at which we’re growing is accelerating too!
- We partnered with Universal Music to power the content for www.getonupjamesbrown.com, the official website of the soundtrack to the James Brown biopic, ‘Get On Up!’. The mini site allows users to explore James Brown’s incredible influence via a choice of interactive timeline, Spotify playlists and by reference to the artists who have sampled his work.
- In August this year we worked with Universal Music to produce a series of infographics demonstrating the influence of the most popular tracks from the Motown catalog, in support of the compilation album from the hit TV show ‘The Nation’s Favourite Motown Song‘. The compilation topped the UK official best sellers charts.
- We hosted ‘Samplethon‘ at the Great Escape Festival in Brighton, UK – the world’s first Hackathon for music producers, giving a carefully selected group of young producers exclusive access to sample material from the vaults of renowned library music label Boosey & Hawkes. The winning tracks from the day are to be released alongside tracks from our team of mentor producers in the coming months, so watch this space!
- This summer we joined Complex Media Network, a move which allows us to enjoy all of the benefits of being part of a leading network for style, music, apparel and much more, whilst remaining fully independent.
- We also hosted a series of shows at London’s famous Jazz Cafe, with some of the world’s most sampled musicians including Tom Browne and Lonnie Liston Smith.
- Throughout the year, we’ve produced a program of exclusive content including articles, interviews, mixes and videos. Notable examples include interviews with Jazzy Jeff, Tom Browne, Jalal of the Last Poets, DJ Amir and many more plus mixtapes in collaboration with Wax Poetics and Mr Bongo in celebration of the anniversaries and re-releases of some of the best loved hip hop and funk albums of years gone by. Many have been online ‘hits’, in particular our tribute to A Tribe Called Quest’s ‘Midnight Marauders, now approaching a quarter of a million plays across platforms.
As always, we would like to extend a MASSIVE THANK YOU to everyone who has made all these achievements possible – our moderators, content contributors, community of users, artists, labels, visitors, readers and listeners. You are WhoSampled and we love you all!