Today WhoSampled celebrates its 7th Birthday! Another year on and now (we find it hard to believe) 7 years since WhoSampled launched, we’re proud to continue to call ourselves the world’s leading resource for sample based music, cover songs and remixes.
The past year has been a great one with many achievements under our belt and plenty more interesting projects in the pipeline:
- Back in May we launched a new feature on the site, listings for samples originating from movies and TV shows. This much requested feature has proven extremely popular and in the months that have passed since launch we have already seen a wealth of TV & Film content appear on the site, with popular sources such as Brian De Palma‘s gangster epic Scarface leading the pack.
- In June of this year, we launched a new responsive design, bringing an improved browsing experience for mobile users.
- Just last month we announced a partnership with The Grammys where we’ll be collaborating on interactive infographics celebrating past winners. The first one published celebrates the 10th Anniversary of Kanye West‘s Grammy Award winning ‘Late Registration’ LP.
- Our iPhone and Android apps continue to be extremely popular and around this time last year we scooped the award for ‘Best Music App’ at the Music Ally Digital Music Awards.
- Earlier in the year we saw the music created at our 2014 Samplethon event made available as a limited edition 10″ vinyl and digital release.
- The database continues grow at an incredible pace. This time last year we reported passing the 270,000 track mark. One year on and we’re approaching 340,000 tracks and no slowing down!
- Throughout the year, we’ve produced a program of exclusive content including articles, interviews, mixes and videos. Notable examples include interviews with Black Violin, Ernie Isley, DJ Format, RAMP’s John Manuel, Phill Most Chill, Freddy Fresh, and many more plus mixtapes in collaboration with Wax Poetics, and BBE in celebration of / tribute to artists ranging from ELO to Stevie Wonder. Many have been online ‘hits’ with our album anniversary series hitting triple figure play counts across platforms.
As always, we would like to extend a MASSIVE THANK YOU to everyone who has made all these achievements possible – our moderators, content contributors, community of users, artists, labels, visitors, readers and listeners. You are WhoSampled and we love you all!